Volunteerism in the Church

Lucedale, Miss., 25 May, 2006 -- Church of the...

Image via Wikipedia

Volunteerism is prevalent in our churches today. Members of  the church will give some of their time with the attitude “I am volunteering this weekend”. We need to transition from a volunteerism model to a family model.

In a family you don’t find volunteers. What you find  are members that are expected to do things to keep the family going. It is not a matter of, if you have the time to volunteer; but “this has to get done so get it done”. It is expected for family members to share the work load and take part in the benefits of the family. 

Growing as a responsible member of a family is reason for this kind of involvement. Can you see the difference in being a volunteer and being member of a family?

The church is commonly called,  the house of God; with God’s children helping get things done as the family model does. It is supposed to work like a family, with each doing their share. “In our family we raised our own dishwashers”, to help out after dinner. Raising children to know the family traditions and how the family supports one another is the job of the elders of the family.

Ephesians 4:16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

When people think of volunteering they feel like they can do things when they want and that it is not a major thing if they are not there on a regular basis. Even the largest volunteer organizations organize their volunteers like employees. They get people to sign a contract that establishes, work hours, duties and wanted outcomes. They also outline the reason for termination. They also require a certain kind of work quality.

Without dedicated people, an organization can not get what they do done. I don’t know why we think it is different in the church. The church is like a family, each member should be dedicated in doing their part, much like top volunteer organizations.

Churches have  about 20% of the people who do much of the work, maintaining the service it provides to its members. They also understand the family model. The remaining 80% need to mak the transition and get busy doing their part in the family of God.

Comments are closed.